I suggest you ...

Alternative Architectures

It seems that every project I walk into has the exact same architecture, regardless of what the company is building. It's that standard 3-tier pattern: data-business-presentation. But, there are other large-scale architectural patterns available. I'd love to hear some case studies that pair business problems with the rationale for choosing an "alternative architecture."

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rob Eisenberg shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kelly Cliffe commented  · 

Amen to this. I am currently working on a project that wil struggle ever to see the light of day (or at least meet any of it's read-between-the-lines performance KPI's) soley because of the paint-by-numbers architecture. And i come across this tiem and time again. Soul destroying. It's worse this time because i've invested 100's of hours of my own time building a prototype that is orders or magnitude smaller, faster and more maintainable.

• Steven Suing commented  · 

I like the idea of this. I've been asked to build a reference architecture that can be scaled out to multiple teams. I told them that every problem may have a different solution, but they didn't say that philosophy would scale. So identifying the problem and the rationale for choosing the right alternative architecture is interesting. Still there seems to be an overall architecture with specific architectures under the hood. Just like a city has different types of building atop a standard set of roads, plumbing, and electrical

Feedback and Knowledge Base